Monday, August 29, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I'm sitting here at 2:45 a.m., and I don't want to go to bed. Why? Because I know that there is a very good chance that when I would wake up, the country will be a very different place. If all goes as bad as they are saying, this could be the most catastrophic natural disaster in United States history.

New Orleans is a city built in a bowl below sea level. For years, city officials wanted to protect it from Mississippi River flooding, so they built levees. The levees, unfortunately, are only able to withstand a Category 3 hurricane. Katrina is either a Cat. 4 or 5. The water is going to burst the levees and flood the city.

Once the city floods, who knows if it will ever not be under water. Also, consider the wildlife in the Bayou area. Just think if crocodiles are swimming in downtown New Orleans.

My God, this is depressing. And once the storm gets inland, the flooding is still going to be bad. Think Cincinnati and St. Louis are out of the line of trouble with the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers overflowing?

Just think what gas prices are going to be in a couple days. New Orleans is one of the biggest oil refining cities in the country, and the New Orleans port is where much of the country's oil is tranported into the United States.

I'm tired of writing, but like I said, I don't want to go to bed.

I hope that tomorrow, I'll be able to say I was full of it, and that it wasn't anywhere close to this.

I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home