Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Phone booths

I miss those glassed-in phone booths for two reasons: 1) because there was once a time when I didn't have to hear other people's phone conversations, and 2 ) I just always liked them. They weren't as good looking as the red ones they have in England, but I thought they were cool. It was a little solitary place in the middle of a busy city. Even though glass is transparent, it was as if no one could see you.

And the only thing worse than having to hear one person talking on a cell phone are the speaker phones where both sides of the conversation can be heard. It's none of my business what two people who I don't know have to say. This is especially the case when they are arguing. I'm not curious. It doesn't seem like something I should hear. But I guess there aren't any secrets anymore. Anyone, anywhere can read what I'm writing right now. I like that, though. The difference is that my newspaper state of mind makes me want to write to other people, not to myself.

Another thing that can't happen when no phone booths exist in a city are contests to see how many people can be crammed into one. Those are always humorous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Ever seen the movie "Phonebooth"? Really good movie. If not, you should join me in watching it sometime. It highlights some of those features.

Just not the cramming people in contest. :)

1:05 AM  
Blogger Daniel Bradley said...

Yeah, I've seen that movie. I like it. Colin Ferrell is good in it. Just think, in a couple years, people will have forgotten what a phone booth is and they'll have no idea what the movie is about.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

scary.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home