Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dammit Groening! My head is exploding!

A new Simpsons episode just ended, and I am confused. At the beginning of the show, a mailman from 1966 was found frozen in a glacier on a mountain top in Springfield. One of his letters was to Homer's mom from her secret boyfriend she had while married to Abe Simpson. The letter mentioned her unborn child who would later be Homer.

This means Homer is 40 years old. Simple enough. Where I get confused is that the show first aired in 1989, so Homer would have been 23 at the time. When the show began, Bart was 12. This means Homer and Marge would have been roughly 11 years old when their first child was born. Talk about babies having babies. While I know it is best not to question a show where the characters remain the same age (it's not like Malcolm in the Middle, though, which I stopped watching altogether because the older kids are almost adults and I'm convinced Dewey has a defect), this is bothering me. The storyline of this episode completely voids all other truths I thought I knew about The Simpsons throughout the last 17 years. And that's even with the scene of Ralphie Wiggum being stuck in a tuba, which was one of the funniest things on the show in years.

Why does Matt Groening wish to confuse me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

sad, I missed it. :(

10:40 PM  
Blogger Daniel Bradley said...

Yeah, it was just pretty weird. Although, I'm guessing I was probably the only person who considered the time situation.

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home